Just wondering.

Yup…Nothing’s "Free"

16 Responses to “Do people have to pay taxes on cars they win on The Price is Right?”

  • rockyfella25 says:

    yes very much so..and right than and there also.
    References :

  • Dart Swinger says:

    References :

  • Barry auh2o says:

    In order to register it, they would have to pay state sales tax .Also, the value of the car is subject to federal income tax.
    References :

  • Steel Saint says:

    Yea. There’s taxes on everything.
    References :

  • the big chief says:

    References :

  • zanthus100 says:

    Yup. That’s why they probably just take the cash value. Its really the IDEA of winning the car that is exciting, becuase that’s like a minimum 15,000 prize right……
    References :

  • jules vane says:

    Yup…Nothing’s "Free"
    References :

  • ed says:

    Yes. And the prizes are valued at "Sticker Price", with tax applied on same.
    References :

  • satchjr2 says:

    Yes of course…same with all those people that win cash…its all taxed. I think anything you win over $600 or something is taxable…
    References :

  • autumn says:

    YES, you need to pay taxes.
    References :

  • kpiglet25 says:

    Yes, any prize you win over a certain dollar amount (I think it is $1,000) is subject to taxes. When companies offer prizes for game shows, they have to give the winner an estimated value for that prize and then the winner is subject to taxes based on the prize value. Think of it…even if you just won a big screen TV for example, you’d be liable for the taxes based on the value. Also note that when companies donate prizes, they often inflate the value to make their product appear more desirable, so their value may not necessarily be based on MSRP. That is why a lot of people opt for the cash equivalent of the prize, rather than the prize itself. They still have to pay tax on the cash, but at least they have some cash on hand, rather than having to come up with it. Think of that the next time someone wins a million bucks on TV…they are likely only going to see about $600,000-$700,000 of that money after taxes.
    References :

  • quantumrift says:

    Yes, all prizes are taxable. That’s why many of those people end up selling the stuff they won – to pay the added income tax on it.

    Surprise! You won the prize and now you owe the IRS
    Andrea B. Abramowitz • Bankrate.com

    An Ohio man recently sported a big smile after winning a free computer through a magazine contest. But his smile quickly turned into a scowl after his accountant told him the bad news — he owed taxes on his prized electronic helper.

    For many people, this news of winning something and then owing money because of it comes as a shock.

    But there are dozens of items that Uncle Sam slaps a tax on that many people are simply unaware of, including:

    * Trips or prizes won
    * Stock options for employees
    * Gambling winnings
    * Unemployment compensation
    * Some holiday gifts
    * Jury fees
    * Hobby income

    Free trips still cost money
    "At work, my wife won a $2,000 trip to Hawaii. We had to pay taxes on that $2,000," says Ken Pikor, a certified financial planner and enrolled agent (someone who can represent taxpayers before all administrative levels of the IRS) in Westerville, Ohio. This came as no surprise to Pikor, with his knowledge of taxes, but that didn’t make him happy about it.
    - advertisement -

    One of Pikor’s clients, the guy who won the computer, wasn’t happy about his bill either. But Pikor was able to take a little bit of the sting out of the IRS’ tax bite: the computer had a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $1,995, but it was selling locally for $1,499. Pikor helped his client prove this to the IRS by writing a letter of explanation, and including newspaper advertisements.

    Prove it and pay less
    After winning some type of prize, make sure you receive Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income, from the person or organization that’s sponsoring the event. Form 1099-MISC states the manufacturer’s suggested retail value of the gift and you’re required to pay the tax on that item.

    Tax Tip: If you can prove within 30 days of receiving the form that the same item could have been purchased at a lower price, you have a good shot at owing less taxes. Pikor recommends that you clip an advertisement that shows the lower price and keep it with your tax records.

    Stock options
    In addition to wages, sometimes organizations compensate their employees with the company’s stock. The stock is either vested or restricted when you receive it.

    If you receive vested stock, which means that the waiting period for a stock option to be exercised has been eliminated, you must report compensation income equal to the value of the stock on the date of the grant or award, even if you don’t sell the stock.

    Example: In August 1999, your employer awards you 100 shares of stock worth $50 each. On your 1999 income tax return, you must report $5,000 of compensation income because of this award.

    If you receive restricted stock, you don’t have to pay tax at the time you receive the stock. However, the amount of tax you pay later when it vests can be significantly higher.

    Tax Tip: If you think you would be better off under the rules for vested stock, you can elect to use those rules, but you have to file the election within 30 days after receiving the stock.

    When you end up selling the stock, you’ll report either a capital gain or loss. The gain or loss will be short-term if you held the stock one year or less at the time of the sale. You need to hold it at least a year and a day to have a long-term capital gain.

    Gambling winnings
    You owe income tax if you win more than $5,000 from:

    1. Any sweepstakes, wagering pool or lottery, or
    2. Any other wager if the proceeds are at least 300 times the amount of the bet.

    If Lady Luck is on your side and you make that major win, you’ll receive Form W-2G from the lottery commission. Attach it to your Form 1040 and report your winnings on line 21 of Form 1040.

    Unemployment compensation
    To many people’s dismay, taxpayers owe income tax on unemployment benefits they receive. It stinks, but at least taxpayers have a choice of having the income tax withheld now or paying it later. Form W-4V must be completed. The amount withheld will be 15 percent of each payment.

    Holiday gifts
    When it comes to holiday gifts, if your employer gives you an item, such as a ham or a turkey or other merchandise of nominal value, it’s not taxable. However, if your employer gives you cash, gift certificates or similar items of readily convertible cash value, the value of the gift is considered to be additional wages or salary. The gift amount would be included in your Form W-2 and would therefore be taxable.

    Jury fees
    Believe it or not, fees you receive for serving on jury duty constitute income, according to our friends at the IRS. Include the amount on Line 21 of Form 1040.

    Hobby income
    If you enjoy tie-dying T-shirts and bed sheets at home, and selling the goods to teenagers at rock concerts, technically, the income made is taxable. You should report the amount on Line 21 of Form 1040. Expenses are deductible on Schedule A.

    Some of the more obscure items that are deemed taxable include:

    * Beauty contest winnings
    * Buried treasure
    * Embezzlement proceeds

    So if you happen to dig up a pot of gold while doing your weekly gardening, and you don’t want to get in trouble with Uncle Sam, report it. Otherwise you could end up like gangster Al Capone — it was income tax evasion that finally locked him away.


    Reporting Miscellaneous Income

    FS-2007-26, November 2007

    While most people are aware they must include wages, salaries, interest, dividends, tips and commissions as income on their tax returns, many don’t realize that they must also report most other income, such as:

    * cash earned from side jobs,
    * barter exchanges of goods or services,
    * awards, prizes, contest winnings and
    * gambling proceeds.

    This fact sheet, the 18th in the Tax Gap series, will help taxpayers better understand miscellaneous income and what they are required to report as taxable on their Form 1040.

    The tax gap, or the amount of taxes that go unpaid each year, results from taxpayers underreporting their taxable income. Fortunately most people want to pay their fair share of taxes and many simply need a better understanding of their obligations.

    What is Taxable?

    Taxpayers must report all income from any source and any country unless it is explicitly exempt under the U.S. tax code. There may be taxable income from certain transactions even if no money changes hands.

    Generally, the IRS considers all income received in the form of money, property or services to be taxable income unless the law specifically provides an exemption. This document discusses a few types of reportable income. Information on how to report other types of income can be found in Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income.

    Self-Employment Income

    It is a common misconception that if a taxpayer does not receive a Form 1099-MISC or if the income is under $600 per payer, the income is not taxable. There is no minimum amount that a taxpayer may exclude from gross income.

    All income earned through the taxpayer’s business, as an independent contractor or from informal side jobs is self-employment income, which is fully taxable and must be reported on Form 1040.

    Use Form 1040, Schedule C, Profit or Loss from Business, or Form 1040, Schedule C-EZ, Net Profit from Business (Sole Proprietorship) to report income and expenses. Taxpayers will also need to prepare Form 1040 Schedule SE for self-employment taxes if the net profit exceeds $400 for a year. Do not report this income on Form 1040 Line 21 as Other Income.

    Independent contractors must report all income as taxable, even if it is less than $600. Even if the client does not issue a Form 1099-MISC, the income, whatever the amount, is still reportable by the taxpayer.

    Fees received for babysitting, housecleaning and lawn cutting are all examples of taxable income, even if each client paid less than $600 for the year. Someone who repairs computers in his or her spare time needs to report all monies earned as self-employment income even if no one person paid more than $600 for repairs.


    Bartering is an exchange of property or services. The fair market value of goods and services exchanged is fully taxable and must be included on Form 1040 in the income of both parties.

    An example of bartering is a plumber doing repair work for a dentist in exchange for dental services. Income from bartering is taxable in the year in which the taxpayer received the goods or services.

    Gambling winnings

    Gambling winnings are fully taxable and must be reported on Form 1040.

    Gambling income includes, among other things, winnings from lotteries, raffles, horse races, poker tournaments and casinos. It includes cash winnings as well as the fair market value of prizes such as cars and trips.

    Even if a W-2G is not issued, all gambling winnings must be reported as taxable income regardless of whether any portion is subject to withholding. In addition, taxpayers may be required to pay an estimated tax on the gambling winnings.

    Losses may be deducted only if the taxpayer itemizes deductions and only if he or she also has gambling winnings. The losses deducted may not be more than the gambling income reported on the return.

    Prizes and awards

    Subject to certain exceptions, the cash value of prizes or awards won in a drawing, quiz show program, beauty contest, or other event, must be included on the tax return as taxable income.

    Taxpayers must also report the fair market value of merchandise or products won as a prize or award, as taxable income.

    For example, both a $500 cash prize and the
    References :


  • Dave says:

    Yes they do, and the cash value of any other prizes they won, usually on shows like the price is right, the contestant usually wins cash along with their prizes. They can use that money to pay the taxes, sometimes a cash value is given to the contestant instead of the prizes, and they can pay their withholding.
    References :

  • Judy says:

    Yes, a prize is taxable income.
    References :

  • coleblondehead says:

    Well, I would assume once they won the
    car, afterwards they have to sign paper-
    work and ask these questions, what is my
    tax consequence? I know nothing in this
    world is absolutely free. I remember a case
    where Oprah gave away like 50 cars in a
    show or something and some people
    actually had to sell the cars to pay off the
    taxes money they didnt have in the first
    place like 7,000 dls sheesh. Oprah I guess
    waned to do something good but if the
    guest had those 7k in the first place they
    would go and buy their own car dont you
    think so. So I guess the anser is yes, they
    have to pay the tax man.
    References :

  • Anon Y says:

    If you don’t believe all of the answers above, just ask Richard Hatch, the first million dollar winner on the "Survivor" TV series. He says he thought he wouldn’t have to pay taxes on the money he won from CBS. He’s in jail for tax evasion.
    References :

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

 Subscribe in a reader

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts